H6: Finding Home
The Heroes find themselves stuck in the Shadowfell, where they must defeat an evil lich in order to return home!

Session 1

After Baron Gallagher opened the gate the Heroes found themselves falling through darkness. They awoke in a field of dark grass, surrounded by eerie blue trees. After Kronk extended a laurel of peace, Baron Gallagher explained that while he had opened the portal, the warforged army he had created was intended to stop the demonic army as it poured through the rift. His motive in opening the portal was to be reunited with his love once again. Just before a confrontation between Dash and Gallagher erupted, a bright flash of white light erupted before among the Heroes. In its wake stood a tall man with blue skin: a deva.

The deva closely resembled the fallen Loki, however the the deva claimed he was named Ikol. He was unaware of any relation he might have with Loki. He was not sure why he was sent here, and had little memory. Ikol told the party that they were certainly in the Shadowfell, and particularly within a Domain of Dread. A Domain of Dread is an area where people may only enter and not exit. In order to leave the realm the inhabitants must kill the lord who rules it.

The Heroes discussed what their course of action was. During this time, Dash stole the boots off Sarkus’s body. This grew the ire of Baron Gallagher, Tauren, and Ikol. Despite their disagreement with Dash’s stripping the body, the bard kept the boots.

The party followed a road into the woods, leaving behind the bodies of Sarkus and Dogfish, while taking Loki’s and Spark’s. The party came across a small inn off the main road. They approached and entered the inn, which was run by a Shadar-kai named Nylo. Nylo was shocked to see “outsiders” and explained that the Lich Lord Kraken did not allow anyone to be out at night, when his undead servants roamed the roads. While the party sat and ate a much needed meal they could hear the moans of cries of the undead outside.

While the party spoke with Ikol, a Vampire named Zym entered the inn, accompanied by his wight guards and ghouls. Zym noticed the plates and mugs the party had left behind and soon a fight erupted between the party and the undead. Kronk, Ikol, and Tauren did the majority of the fighting, for Dash was dominated. During his domination, Dash turned over his sword to Zym, announced his latent homosexuality, and then sovereign glued his hand to the ground. Once the battle began to turn against the undead, Zym turned to mist and disappeared, taking Dash’s sword with him.

Following the battle the Heroes went to sleep with one man watching at a time. During Dash’s watch, the bard asked Nylo to watch for him while he ran an errand. Dash sneaked outside where was immediately seen by ghouls. Dash attacked the ghouls, killed them both, and then continued into the woods.

Dash hurried back to the spot where the party had left behind the bodies of Dogfish and Sarkus. When he arrived, however, he realized he was not alone. A Shadar-kai was inspecting the bodies as Dash approached. The shadar-kai said his name was Dal-nan and that he meant no harm. Dash spoke with Dal-nan for a short time when the two were suddenly attacked by a zombie hulk and three vampire spawns. Dash killed the three vampire spawns after being beaten savagely, and then turned his attention to the hulk, who repeatedly knocked Dash to the ground. Dal-nan aided Dash in his fight against the hulk. After several back and forths, Dal-nan suggested Dash flee with him. Dash declined and insisted he could take down the hulk. Dal-nan waited briefly and then fled. Dash, determined to kill the hulk, refused to leave. He attempted to strike down the hulk, but instead was struck down himself.

When all hope faded, Dash suddenly jumped back to his feet to see Dal-nan and the hulk standing over his body. Dal-nan was in fact working with the zombie! Dal-nan shrieked in anger and attempted to kill Dash. Dash dodged the attack, rose to his feet, and fired the rod of wonder at the zombie. Tymora must have been with him, because the rod turned Dash invisible. Dash then fled the battle and returned to the inn.

At the inn Dash informed Nylo that Dal-nan was working for Kraken. Nylo was visibly upset about this. He asked Dash to kill Dal-nan, because Nylo believes it was Dal-nan who sold out Nylo’s wife to Kraken two years ago. Dash agreed and continued his watch.

Session 2

Dash kept watch for roughly a quarter of an hour, when a zombie hulk suddenly barreled through the north wall of Nylo’s tavern. Through the wall also came two wights, several vampire spawn, and Dal-nan. Dash raised the alarm but was quickly overcome by the onslaught. He was knocked out and perhaps would have died if it were not for Baharash, a dragonborn warrior of the wood. Baharash had come upon the domain of dread and saw the fight begin in the tavern. He heroically had the enemy surround him, which gave time for Kronk and Ikol to dash to the fight from their bedroom. In addition to Baharsh, a Larandian rogue named Meliae, who also found his way into the domain of dread, entered the battle. Eventually the Heroes killed their enemy, or those who survived escaped, however narrowly.

After the battle the Heroes discussed what they would do. Baron Gallagher, Shamash, and Tauren would protect Nylo, while Baharash, Meliae, Ikol, Dash, and Kronk would go to Cyllo, a man rumored the have worked for the king.

The sun never rose and a heavy snow fell over the village. Nylo stated that Lord Kraken can control the weather in his domain of dread. Meliae asked where he could sign up to learn that power. The party went to Cyllo’s home. He was a cantankerous old man, and the party spent a deal of time convincing him to lend his aid. Eventually the old Shadar-kai agreed. He told the Heroes that the former king had a consort in the village. In order to visit his love, he would use a secret tunnel the led from his temple in his tower to just outside the graveyard. The party agreed to set out and find this tunnel.

As they traveled through the snow Kronk noticed a ballista sitting on a ridge overlooking the road. Kronk took several steps toward the ballista when, suddenly, a flameskull leaped out and fired a ray of flames at the party. The party fanned out and engaged. Dash spotted a vampire spawn running across the road and ran out to kill it before it did anything that would harm the party. Baharash cried out for Dash not to run off. It would prove to be useful advice, for as soon as Dash killed the vampire spawn a skeleton with four arms and four scimitars emerged from a hiding spot and cut Dash to pieces. Following him Zym emerged again and gave Dash a deadly sneak attack. Dash then suffered a hit from the flameskull, and Dash went out. Baharash conjured a small wood to protect the party from the assault. Kronk and Ikol were able to destroy one of the multi-limbed skeletal guardians.

Dash was revived, but subsequently dominated by Zym and sent running. The session ended mid-battle.

Session 3

The party continued their fight against Zym and his cronies. Eventually, seeing his allies fall, Zym made his escape by turning into his gaseous form. The party searched the small building near the battle site and they recovered Dash’s sword. Unfortunately for Dash, the chest that contained the sword was trapped. Dash was pricked by a poisoned dart, and he now suffers from blinding sickness.

H5: War in the Forgotten City

Session 1

The session began with the heroes watching the army that loomed on the horizon. They decided to delve into the mountain and find the Forgotten City. After a several hour walk into the mountain, where Loki and Korko took lead, the heroes came upon the city. It was a magnificent sight, that brought tears to Kronk’s dwarven eyes, and awe to the others. It was a beautiful and ancient city, comprised of the tallest towers and the finest architecture, and it rest upon an island of rock in a cavern so large it was hard to imagine the mountain could contain it. Many bridges connected the landing on which the Heroes stood with the city in the center of the cavern. They Heroes walked across one when they came across a Dragonborn, dressed in army and wielding a greatsword. The Dragonborn explained that he belonged to a race of dragonborn that came to the city with the Dwarves who built the city following the Great Rift War. The dragonborn were charged with protecting the city and the rift. However, since then, the the Drow who dwell in the dark have risen from time to time and hav eventually killed all the dragonborn save this last one.

This last sentinel seemed to confused Kronk for one of the dwarves who belonged to some alleged Secret Council that oversaw the city. However, he mentioned, none have come in many years. Furthermore, he told the heroes that other men had already entered the Pyramid in the center of the city, where the rift was held. He led the Heroes there and bade them to stop Gallagher and his allies. Before the Heroes teleported into the Pyramid, the dragonborn shoved a crystal into Kronk’s hand and bade him to keep it south.

Inside, the Heroes entered a room and immediately attacked a group of humans holed up in there. Just as the battle began, one human ran through a door and away from the battle. In his characteristically gung ho style, Col Neshben wantonly gave chase. However, it was a trap. Col was teleported into another room which was in essence a giant furnace. The room burned up as Col tried to break his way out of it, however the Neshben was too weak to open the door, save for one time, however the door was quickly shut again in his face.

Session 2

The adventure began where it left off last: Col was stuck in the furnace while Kronk, Loki, Korko, and Tauren battled with the enemy. Kronk hoped to help his friend, Col, by running down the hallway but was teleported himself into the furnace. Outside Tauren, Korko, and Loki continue to fight an Outlaw. Col and Kronk continued to try to burst out of the room but repeatedly failed until their fourth or fifth try when they finally burst through. The two then killed two archers while Loki and Korko took out the outlaw in the other room. The group then decided to rest in order to heal up before going deeper into the Pyramid.

In the next room the Tri-force encountered a group of human sled by a Dragonborn, named Gharash Vren. Vren believed the Tri-force were working with the “Frost Elves” and ordered his men to attack. The Tri-Force tried to reason with the men, ensuring them that they were not enemies. Ultimately, Vren decided not to trust the Tri-force but he did agree to give them the plate so that Tri-force could open the rift.

The heroes then retraced their steps and soon found themselves in a cold room, where ice covered the floors. As the group entered the corridor two tall blue-skinned Eladrin appeared and sounded an alarm. Within moments the Tri-force was surrounded and found themselves under attack. The party fought valiantly until the won the combat over from the Eladrin, or the “Frost Elves.” Their leader was a woman who told Loki she was a worshipper of Orcus and had attempted to open the rift one thousand years ago following the Great Rift War. Loki, angered that the woman would not repent for following Orcus, attempted to stab her to death. After her a viscous wound across her neck, and an attempt to be restrained by Col Neshben, Loki left the room fuming. He was tied up by Kronk, who tried to turn Loki blue with his Rod of Wonder. The result was Loki grew in size and was assaulted by butterflies. Kronk abandoned the attempt.

Col found a magical chess set and a sigil of compansionship. Kronk found a Cape of the Mountebank. The session ended with Kronk and Loki attempting to slay the woman, yet again. Col threw himself in front of her. Loki accidentally stabbed himself and Kronk did not attack because he was laughing too hard.

Session 3

Col is dead. The Tri-force ventured into a large cavern where they were ambushed by troglodytes and a wyvern. While the party battled the monsters, Korko dragged the body of the Frost Eladrin to Garash Vren, where she was summarily executed. During the battle, Col lunged out, exposing himself to a cliff, in an attempt to strike down one of the remaining troglodytes. At that moment, during some back and forth banter between Col and Loki, the Larandian admitted what he had Korko do to the Eladrin. Overcome with shock, Col put down his guard and was subsequently pushed over the cliff and fell to his death.

Session 4

Following Col’s death the party met two newcomers, Dash Lli’mytt, a human bard, and Shamash, a half-orc fighter/barbarian. Dash had been imprisoned with Kronk’s father. During an escape from their captors, Kronk’s father was killed. His dying command was for Dash to find and protect Kronk. As such, Dash and Shamash swore their allegiance to what remained of the Tri-force and the Heroes agreed to finally take on Baron Gallagher in the final chamber.

The final chamber was large and dominated by a three-tiered pillar in the center. In order to activate or destroy the rift, one must open one of six doors by climbing to the top tier and performing an appropriate check. After that, one door would open and a player would need to perform a second check inside the room beyond the door. The first party to make three of these latter checks would win.

The Tri-force and their allies were met by Baron Gallagher and his crew: Spark Dietrich, Dogfish, Sarkus, and a hulking troll. The two factions battled valiantly. Dash and Shamash showed their strength in the party, the former with his strong buffs and quick thinking and the former with his awesome power to destroy with his axe. Loki faced off against Spark and eventually kill his former friend and ally. Kronk faced the troll by himself, and eventually would get one of the markers for his own party by teleporting through a door.

Loki was killed during the battle, when Dogfish cleaved the Larandian in two. The party continued to fight on until every one of Baron Gallagher’s allies was dead. However, the Tri-force would not achieve victory. While barely alive, the Baron was able to activate the third check and opened the rift. The room went black and the party was teleported elsewhere . . .

H4: Rescue at Thunderspire Mountain

Session I

After hearing the news that Ashbenford had fallen under attack the Heroes raced toward the beleagured city. On the outskirts of the city the Heroes saw the Gnoll encampments surrounding Ashbenford. As the Heores were about to sneak past the Gnoll lines they were approached by a group of rangers led by Dilandau. Dilandau informed the Heroes that Tauren and a company of rangers had been kidnapped and taken to Thunderspire Mountain, the location of a long forgotten Minotaur civilization. The Tri-force raced out to find Tauren.

When they arrived at Thunderspire Mountain they encountered a group of Hobgoblins in a cave holding a young Halfling captive. The Heroes slayed the hobgoblins, however the party suffered their first casualty as Kronk was killed by a Hobgoblin mage. They later learned the Hobgoblins belonged to the Bloodreavers, a clan of Hobgoblin slavers. The Halfling was Pike, the very same halfling they Heroes saved near Hunter’s Mark. Pike, happy to have been saved, told the Heroes that a community named The Seven Pillared Hall lay near by. The Hall was run by the Mages of Saruun, and served largely as a trading post for the Underdark. Pike also told the Heroes his aunt was a Cleric of Avandra. She could raise Kronk for a fair price. The Heroes then went to the Cleric and had Kronk raised. After a brief stay in the Seven Pillared Hall, the Heroes travelled into the underdark to find the lair of the Bloodreavers and to determine the status of Tauren.

The Heroes fought their way valiantly through the Hobgoblin lair however they discovered that the Hobgoblins had sold the slaves they captured. However, at the lair the Heroes discovered a pair of Duergar Dwarves. This aroused suspicion that the Duergar were slave traders as well.

At some point, Kronk turned Col Neshben blue through the use of the Rod of Wonder.

Session ?

The heroes discovered a giant black tower, deep within Thunderspire Mountain. When they approached the tower a spectral skeleton appeared and taunted the heroes. He claimed he was the guardian of the tower, and he would only let the heroes pass if they offered him knowledge. Loki was diplomatic with the spirit with much success. So too was Kronk, who offered knowledge of medicine. Shamash tried to attack the spirit, and Col Neshben racked his brain to no avail: he could not offer anything the spirit found interesting. In the end, the heroes did not please the guardian and they had some powers sapped from them and two healing surgers. After they paid their toll they were allow entrance to the tower.

The heroes entered the tower via teleportation circle. They found themselves in a room filled surrounded by walls of grotesque faces of pigmen and tortured humans. Pillars, also with grotesque faces, lined the halls. The heroes branched out into the halls and were soon attacked by a company of warforged. Magical bolts of energy emerged from the pillars that sapped the heroes strength and blinded them. The party divided in two and the warforged tried to cut them down. Col had difficulty rallying the beginning, as he was constantly hexed and could not use his powers, nor could he see due to blindness. Kronk, per usual, shot the rod of wonder in variou direction, more often to the detriment of his party. Shamash, Lesovik, and Korko fought the warforged who eventually converged totally on them. While they held off the attack, both heroes were almost subdued until Col Neshben and Kronk could rally. Kronk inadvertantly caused the captian fo the warforged to grow after using the rod of wonder on him. With a dazzling attack, Col Neshben cut dow the captain of the warforged after Shamash and Lesovik had brought him to near death. After the warforged were destroyed, the party fought off two Priests, who, hidden in a room, had been casting the hexes on them through the pillars. The Priests mentioned they served Orcus and Lord Nackle.

Following the fight the heroes discussed strategy. They found a teleportation rune that would lead them to the next level. The party discussed whether or not to advance. Lesovik prudently argued that the party rest. The Jedi, Col Neshben, argued that haste was in need, for Tauren was near. In the end, the decision was made by Kronk who kicked Col Neshben into the runes and sent him to the next level, and then lied to Lesovik about what happened, while Lesovik attempted to rest.

Col was sent to the next level. After gathering himself he peered around a corner where he saw a large minotaur warforged. Instead of retreating, the overzealous (although brave) Jedi charged down the hall. The Minotaur made quick work of the Jedi, as soon Col found himself wounded, on the ground, and surrounded by two other warforged and two priests of Orcus. As Col fought for his life, Lesovik appeared and charged down the hall to save his friend. Kronk appeared after Lesovik and also took the fight. Col fought with the Minotaur before retreating through a door so that he could drink a healing potion. The session ended with an imp coming through a teleportation circle and poisoning the Jedi . . .

Final Sessions

The Tri-force fled from the fray, as they sought to retreat to the safety outside of the tower. The Warforged Minotaur and his companions gave chase to the Heroes. Kronk distracted the Minotaur, allowed the badly wounded Jedi to make his way to the teleportation circle, where he waited for his companions. With the minotaur distracted, Kronk fled through the portal. However, Col did not leave when he had the chance, and the minotaur blocked his path to escape. Col bravely caused the minotaur to follow him, allowing Loki to run through the circle, after which Col followed. Outside the tower, the party hid behind a pile of rocks as the foolish minotaur and his companions believed the Tri-force ran into the labyrinth. After the enemy left, the heroes entered the tower once again. Inside they rested and prepared for the final confrontation with Glim Nackle.

The Heroes entered Glim’s chambers. There the Gnome wizard attacked the heroes while running around the room on rollerskates. A viscious battle against Glim and his warforged guards ensued. At the end of the battle, the Heroes had brought Glim to surrender and killed his companions. Tauren Gainsborogh was found, however his body was transformed into half warforged; the result of a failed fell ritual of Glim’s. As the Heroes bound Glim a message from Baron Gallagher appeared via ritual. Gallagher told the Tri-force the following:

Before the great statue of Orcus an image comes into view. A translucent Baron Gallagher stands before. His face is unsmiling and he wears a plain suit of leather armor, with his sword at his side. He stands outside, somewhere along a road or path. “I must begin,” he says in a quiet solemn voice, “with an apology and my expression of amazement. I know you must be feeling betrayed at this point, gentlemen. I know you must be feeling anger, and rage, and an assortment of heavy emotions. I too walk with a heavy heart. I have much explaining to do, however for you to understand the full story, to understand the true gravity of what you are up against I must go back some twenty years.” The Baron sighs and seems to reach back into his mind. He closes his eyes and begin to speak. In those days, I was a Jedi. I was sworn to defend the King of Niew Huis. I lived and breathed and expected to die for that loyalty. It was so long ago, but I remember it vividly, as if it were just yesterday. I had recently returned from a village in the south, where I met a young boy, and brought him back to the temple.” He opens his eyes and steals a quick glance in Col Neshben’s direction. “He was very gifted, and we believed he would make a fine Jedi. However, his studied would be interrupted. By a civil war. For it was on that very day that the rebels attacked the palace, and a war began. I was devoted to the king, and I fought as best I could to defend him and his purpose. Roughly a year into the war, however, a split arose in the ranks of the Jedi. Some wanted to defect, to help the fledgling Republic. Others, including me, wanted to remain on the loyalist side. The split came to a head and the Sith were born, those who decided to remain loyal to the King. I was elected to one of the leadership provisions. I continued to fight alongside the Sith, sometimes against my former brothers within the ranks of the Jedi. The war turned sour for us. In a fool’s gamble, in a dire broker for power, the Sith leadership sought help from demonic sources. The sith made a Faustian pact which ultimately led to their downfall. At the war’s close I wanted out. The sith had betrayed their original goals, and I had fallen in love with a Baron’s daughter, Estair.” He pauses, and chokes at the mention of the girl’s name. “Estair and I were to be wed, for we were madly in love with another. However it was never meant to be.” Baron Gallagher’s face grows darker. “One day, a demon attacked me and my lady. I fought as valiantly as I could, but he was too powerful. We were imprisoned in the Hell, where Orcus rests. After being brutally tortured for weeks I was brought before Orcus. His size, his might, and his evil made me tremble. Orcus bellowed, and demanded, that I return to the World and open one of the rifts, so that he and his armies could march again on the nations of Estoria. I initially refused, and begged for my death. To this Orcus merely laughed. He would not give me such a reprieve. He said that until I opened the rift he would imprison and torture my lady. However, if I opened the rift, he would reunite us. Seeing no better option, I went back to Niew Huis. From there I began my work. I had read in the Jedi annals that the Dwarves had sealed away a rift somewhere in the Mark. I had the governor of Ashbenford killed and took his post. Then I began searching. A young Tiefling came into my employ. the one named Sarkus. I told Sarkus that I too was seeking to open the Rift. We began working together. That is went you came into the picture. I had sent Sarkus off to Hunter’s Mark to find the Keystone, the gem that Dwarves made that would tell us where their Rift was. I sent you out there to give the people the feeling that I was doing something about the Goblins attacking the village. I assumed the Goblins would have your heads. I was wrong. When you came back, I cannot say I was surprised. However, it did not matter. We had the Keystone. From there, I continued my work. I sought out Glim Nackle, the wizard who had come across the secret of the Warforged. With this I thought I would have the final key to assuming my goal. However, again, you got in the way. Moradin told Kronk about Valen Liadon, the only other who knew about the warforged. When you left to retrieve him I sent several warforged after you to stop you. Again you eluded me. I hired a dwarf named Dakkon Blackblade to kidnap Valen and bring him to Glim. Valen’s knowledge would be mighty useful in our quest, for we still were not entirely sure how to operate the Keystone. However, you again foiled me. Until you brought Valen to my doorstep. It was perfect you see, for while you were gone I had my bodyguard, Dilandau, engineer a war with the Gnolls. Now, you may ask, why would I want that? Simple: I needed souls. Glim has been working tirelessly at a ritual that could create Warforged en masse. Right now, the Gnolls have ravished Ashbenford, and killed many of its citizens. The city still stands, thanks to King Lucan and his men. However, in the wake of the battle I have been able to create a great army of Warforged. And with them, I plan to marching on the Fogotten City, where the Rift will be opened. I truly am sorry that things must be this way. You are men who have proven your quality. In other circumstances, we would have been allies. However, the Gods pull the strings that guide mortals’ lives in ways we cannot comprehend.”

Following Gallagher’s message, Kronk executed Glim Nackle. Tauren viewed the display with disgust and scolded Col Neshben. The Jedi said it was not of his doing and he did everything to stop Kronk that he could. The matter instilled a small amount of bitterness between the two. The Heroes decided they needed to give chase to Gallagher and go to the Forgotten City. One of the Mages in the Seven Pillared Hall performed a teleportation ritual on the PCs and transported them to the mountain where the city lay. To their dismay, the Heroes stood on a great mountain, overlooking a valley. Down below, about a day’s march off, loomed a great black army of some 5,000 warforged, the fallen from the battle of Ashbenford. The Heroes vowed to stop Gallagher’s plans and defeat the army, no matter what cost.

H3: Save the Wizard, Save the World

With Spark leaving the party, the Tri-force, as they were named by King Lucan of Woodhall, set off for Dockton in search of Valen Liadon. One day out of town the Heroes rested at a wayside inn called the Shadowbrook Inn. During the night they were attacked once again by the Black Riders. The heroes fought off their attackers just enough to allow them to escape to Dockton on horseback.

Once in Dockton, the Heroes went to the Avandran School of Magic, Valen Liadon’s school. The Heroes met Headmaster Akmenos. The Headmaster told the Heroes that Valen had gone off to deliver an item to a customer and would be back soon. When questioned, the Headmaster told the Heroes that the creatures that had been pursuing them were in fact “Warforged.” A race of beings created during the Great Rift Wars that were constructs imbued with the souls of the dead. He fears that Glim Nackle, a former pupil of his, had set the Warforged after the Heroes. Regardless, the Heroes were urged to wait until Valen returned. In the meantime they could partake in the Victory Day Festival, which celebrates the Republican victory over the Royal forces at Griffin Point.

At the festival Kronk beat out everone to win the drinking contest. As a reward he was given the Rod of Wonder. Col Neshben narrowly defeated Loki in a tri-athelon. The last event of the day was a battle royale. To the Heroes’ surprise they were pitted against the Returners (Sarkus, Rizzen, and Dogfish), who had also joined the tournament. In the final round the heroes fought valiantly, turned the tide of the battle against the Returners and barely defeated them.

After the fight, Akmenos told the Heroes he had received a message from Valen. He was attacked an at inn to the north of Dockton and now waits in a locked cellar. The Heroes raced out of Dockton and went after Valen at the Icicle Inn. Trudging through the snow, they Heroes came upon a large beautiful inn. Loki sneaked around the building and discovered a common area filled with Human warriors. The Heroes battled the humans with several notable moments: Kronk hid in the snow while several of the warriors came around the corner. Easily spotting the Dwarf, one of the humans cried out, “Dwarf!” To this, Kronk sat up, looked behind, and exclaimed with surprise, “Where?!” Col Neshben leaped (barely) through a glass window and gathered all the enemy around him. Loki lurked around the inn dishing out deadly twin strikes. After a long and tiring battle the Heroes won. A dwarf named Dakkon Blackblade emerged claiming he was the leader of this group and that he was hired to capture Valen Liadon. After the Heroes refused to pay him off Dakkon fought the Heroes. Col Neshben claimed he would kick Dakkon’s ass. To which Dakkon agreed to a duel. Col Neshben declined. Realizing he could not defeat the Heroes on his own, Dakkon retreated into the snow.

The Heroes then found a cellar door that lead into a wine cellar. Descending down into the cellar the Heroes found that someone had burrowed into the cellar and fought with whoever was there. The Heroes followed the tunnel deep into the underdark where they came upon a hobgoblin lair. They soon discovered that the hobgoblins meant to sacrifice Valen Liadon to a young black dragon. The Heroes desperately fought off the young wyrm and rescued the Elf Wizard. Valen told the party that Glim Nackle was behind all this. He urged the Heroes to help him defeat Glim before the Gnome could rally enough power to find the Forgotten City.

As soon as the Heroes emerged from the caverns a ranger from Ashbenford appeared. He had been tracking the Heroes and he claimed that Ashbenford had been attacked by the Gnolls. The Heroes’ assistance at Ashbenford was greatly needed. Loki believed himself indebted to Baron Gallagher and agreed to return to the city.

Memorable Moments:

1) Kronk constantly using the Rod of Wonder on Col Neshben, who grew increasingly irritated. It should be noted, the Jedi sprouted leaves.

2) Col Neshben’s final blows to Rizzen and Sarkus. All combatants save Rizzen, Sarkus, and Col Neshben had been defeated. Col Neshben was caught between the two enemies. He managed to strike Sarkus to the ground and then cleaved Rizzen to the ground, winning the battle with nearly no hit points left.

H2: Something's in the Woods

A month after the events in Hunter’s Mark, Kronk received a vision from Moradin. Moradin commanded Kronk to seek out an elf in Dockton, named Valen Liadon. According to Moardin, Valen Liadon had the key to the puzzle, to the evil that the Heroes are trying to prevent. Kronk awoke in his bed following the dream to find Spark and Loki playing a Larandian card game. Kronk relayed his vision to his companions and the three agreed to set out for Dockton immediately. Kronk and Spark went to steal a horse, against Loki’s wishes, while the Larandian went to a whore house.

En route to the whore house, Loki encountered Dilandau, Baron Gallagher’s personal bodyguard. Loki told Dialandau what the Heroes planned to do, and Dilandau told Loki to speak with the Baron in the morning. Spark and Kronk had stolen a horse together and fled the city, agreeing to meet Loki outside town.

Loki went to the Baron the next day and told the Baron the Heroes planned to go to Dockton to get an elf. The Baron gave the Heroes his blessing but urged them to be haste: fell things were forming on the borders of the Mark. The Baron feared the Gnoll tribes were becoming more aggressive.

The Heroes set out and soon came across the Iron Wood. Loki warned his companions that the wood was evil and should be avoided. The Heroes agreed to circumvent the wood and took the long route around it. That night they were attacked by a group of mysterious riders in black. At one point, when Spark stabbed one of the riders, an odd metallic clang rang out instead of the sound of a blade piercing flesh and bone. The fight went in the way of the riders and the Heroes agreed to flee into the wood. Loki held the riders at bay while his companions fled into the wood. Loki soon followed and they eluded the riders.

While in the wood the Heroes marched for some hour until they were attacked by a group of elves who accused the Heroes of being in league with some enemy. The Heroes managed to talk the elves down when suddenly a deafening roar was heard from deep within the village. The Elves fled, suggesting the Heroes do the same, and told them to flee to the village of Sultan. Spark and Kronk quickly fled the scene, however Loki delayed to grab a dead elven body and attach it to his horse. Just as Loki was prepared to flee himself, a large hulking werewolf burst through the brush and attacked the ranger. Loki gave fight to the werewolf, but was bitten by the beast and contracted moon fever. The ranger leaped atop his steed and fled into the night.

The Heroes met at a clearing in the wood where a small decrepit shack lay. A beautiful elf woman named Selma emerged from the shack and urged the Heroes to enter. She claimed the werewolf did not attack her home. The Heroes spent the night at Selma’s (Kronk slept outside). In the morning the Heroes continued on to Sultan.

Sultan is a small human village deep within the Iron Wood. Sultan is led by Aramil, a small old human, who warmly welcomed the Heroes. The Heroes also met Aramil’s sullen Captain of the Guard, Haim. Aramil told the Heroes a war had erupted between the Humans and the elves. The elves claimed the humans had kidnapped a cleric of Corellon named Adrie. However, Aramil insisted, this was false. The Heroes agreed to set out and make peace with the elves for the humans. Aramil also mention the werewolf in the wood. It has terrorized the people recently.

That night the Heroes were attacked by an elven raiding party. The Heroes fought the raiding party off in their bedroom. Loki captured one of the raiders, but before he could bring the elf before Aramil, Spark killed the raider. This resulted in a huge quarrel between the Larandian and the rogue.

The next day the Heroes set off for Woodhall, the Elven village. They met with a guard company, who after some smooth talking, agreed to take the Heroes to meet their King, Lucan. Lucan met the Heroes and promised to stop the war if they found Adrie. Lucan mentioned a nearby Barrow Mound that the elves feared. The Heroes went to the barrow.

In the barrow, the Heroes fought many undead. In one room they met the fallen elven prince, Bringol, who was imprisoned in the mound years ago in a war between the elves and the shifters that once lived in the wood. Bringol could only be freed if his dagger was returned to him. The Heroes fought a long and exhaustive battle in a large chamber against undead shifters and a wight. After the battle, the Heroes found Adrie, who was kidnapped by the werewolf, she claimed. The Heroes fled the barrow after returning the dagger to Bringol and freeing him.

Once they emerged to the top, the Heroes were attacked by Selma, who was a hag, and by the werewolf, who was Aramil, a priest of Tharizdun. The fight was deadly and dangerous, as Heroes and Monsters were flung from the cliff side. When the battle seemed to turn poorly for the Heroes, a young warrior emerged from the trees and magically cast the Werewolf off a cliff. He introduced himself as “Col Neshben, Jedi Knight.” Following the battle, the Heroes returned to Woodhall, where they were received as heroes. Spark took leave of the party, insisting he had to find his fiance. Col joined the party in the quest to find Valen Liadon.

H1: The Mark's Crystal
Heroic Tier

Session 1

On a summer day in Ashbenford Loki Lesovik and Kronk Strakeln shared a glass of ale in the Kobold run pub, the Goblin Kobold. During the middle of their drink they were verbally assaulted by a sailor who believed Loki and robbed his brother months ago. The two heroes tired to talk to man down but they failed and as soon as the conflict was about to come to blows the bar was raided by the town guard, led by a half-elf named Tauren Gainsborogh and a human named Dilandau. Tauren told the heroes Baron Gallagher sought an audience with them. The Heroes agreed to go with Tauren.

They met Baron Gallagher in his office in town hall. The Baron told them that town of Hunter’s Mark, in the nearby hills, was in trouble. Goblins had suddenly began raids on the caravans that came through the village. The village’s economy is completely based upon the trade it provides. Without that it will wither away. The Baron does not know why the attacks have begun but he promised to pay the Heroes 200 GP for their help.

The hereos agreed and went off the next day. After two days of travel they were ambushed by Goblins on a bridge crossing. They defeated the Goblins and continued to Hunter’s Mark. At the village they met Longshanks, the bartender. He asked the PCs to retrieve a brooch for him from a raided caravan to the south of the village. They also met a halfling named Gindel, who claimed he saw a Tiefling in the woods to the north. No one knows why the Goblins began their attacks.

After speaking with those men, the PCs spoke with Grel, a halfling who runs the town. He told them of the mines of Kalad-Nal that lie to the west. 100 years ago the mines were abandoned because they had been depleted of all the mithril in the area. The Heroes decided to check out the mines. ON the way they met Spark Dietrich. The rogue agreed to help them attack a orc campsite. The Heroes attacked the campsite and defeated the Orcs.

Session 2

The Heroes interrogated the capture Orc. He revealed that the Goblins in fact were under the control of the Orcs, who had occupied the mine. The Orcs are led by Kugnar, and the Goblins are led by Lord Gnasher. The Orc said he did not know the Tiefling, although he has seen him within in the halls of the mine. After they finished their interrogation, the Heroes slew the Orc as he stood there.

The Heroes then went to the Goblin encampment. They found two Goblins watching over the entrance. The Heroes sneaked up to them but before they could slay their enemies, the Goblins surrendered. The Goblins claimed they meant no harm and they seemed afraid of the Orcs. Spark tied the both to a tree and Loki knocked them out.

Descending down into the encampment, the Heroes were attacked in the main hall by Goblins and a Drake. They slew their enemy and continued through. They entered the barracks of the Goblins where they fought with Goblins and a leader named Skull Crusher. Both Loki and Kronk fell during the battle, however Spark managed to slay Skull Crusher in the 11th hour while the surviving Goblins fled. Here the Heroes found a flaming magical rapier and a shocking magical greataxe.

Then the Heroes went to a small chamber down a hall, the entrance to which had a sign which read “Do not enter. We mean it.” The Heroes did not heed this warning and went anyway. At the end of the hall they found a pool. Spark and Kronk stayed back while Loki went forward to investigate. As he did a giant Crocodile emerged from the murky waters and ensnared the unsuspecting ranger in his massive jaw. Kronk, Spark, and Loki fought off the crocodile and then retreated down the hall.

Finally, the Heroes went into what was a nursery. Negotiations failed with the Goblin women who were protecting the children and the Heroes slew them all, not before threatening to kill the Goblin younglings in front of their mothers. Loki argued with Spark about his actions with the younglings. Kronk and Spark were of the opinion that they were no better than rats. At the end of the session, the Heroes were not sure what they would do with the children.

Memorable Moment: During the battle with Skull Crusher, Loki had fallen. Kronk and Spark fought against a group of Goblins and Skull Crusher with the cramped hallway between the barracks halls. Spark, hoping to lure Skull Crusher away and get him out into the open, fled down the hall leaving Kronk behind. Spark called out profanity, hoping Skull Crusher would follow. Instead, the Goblin warrior cried to his men, “Kill the Dwarf [Kronk]!” The Goblins turned on Kronk and Spark came rushing back after cursing the Goblin leader.

Honorable Mention: After the battle with the Orcs, Spark turned to Loki and Kronk and gave a long winded explanation as to why they should attack the Goblin encampment or check out the caravan that Longshanks had talked about. Loki began to argue with the rogue, when he suddenly remember that Spark had simply emerged from the wood without any explanation as to why he was there, and was now giving order to Loki and Kronk. The Ranger interrupted his own argument and said, “Wait… who the fuck are you?!”

Session 3

The Heroes left the nursery and traveled south through the passageway where they encountered Lord Gnasher and his thugs. After a showdown, the Heroes convinced Gnasher to let them deal with the Orcs and free them of their enslavement. The Heroes rushed off to the mines of Kalad-nal.

After meeting with Gnasher the Heroes traveled to Kalad-nal where they would force the Orcs to free the enslaved Goblins. Loki was interested in meeting with the Tiefling. The Heroes descended down into the mines and were amazed by the Dwarven architecture. They travelled into a corridor where they found a room of sleeping orcs. On the far well in a cage were four goblins. Spark sneaked across the room and freed the goblins. He then told them to arm themselves. Meanwhile, Loki and Kronk also had sneaked around the room and positioned themselves near the sleeping orcs. Simultaneously all the goblins and Heroes attacked the sleeping orcs, killing them all before they had a chance to react. The Heroes then told the goblins to flee the facility.

Next the PCs walked into what was once a great hall for the dwarves to eat, drink, and be merry. However, as they entered a near-sighted ogre poked his head around the corner. The ogre mistook the PCs for his friend, Tulga. He asked Spark, whom he believed to be Tulga, if he would be willing to help him cook dinner. Spark went into the kitchen and cooked dinner with the Ogre, pretending to be his friend Tulga. Meanwhile, Loki sneaked around the dining area and discovered an ornamental sword. After dinner was served, Loki, Spark, and Kronk took off without the Ogre ever being privy to the fact that he just made dinner for the Heroes.

The Heroes then encountered a group of orcs in a temple to Groomsh. The heroes battled the orcs there, barely surviving after Loki smoted each one of the brutes with his uncanny sword play. The Heroes found an ornamental Axe in that room.

After that fight, the Heroes found a great statute of three dwarves. The magnificent statue was accompanied by a riddle. The riddle told the story of three dwarven princes, each who had slain a monster with a certain weapon. The riddle was to discover who killed what monster with what item. Spark was the first to solve the puzzle. The Heroes then realized they probably could put the ornamental items on the statue, however they were missing a rod, so they pressed on.

From there, the Heroes entered a training facility. They fought with a group of Orcs and managed to slay them without too much of an effort. After the battle, the Heroes found some magic gauntlets of ogre strength. Spark originally took the item, claiming it was his. Later he rescinded his claim, stating that he was merely holding onto it until the next treasure trove. By this time, Loki had found a Lifedrinking Longsword. The Heroes also found an ornamental rod. The Heroes returned the room with the statue and inserted the items. A secret door in the floor was revealed. In the chamber they found an amulet of protection +2. Spark argued that the amulet should go to him, however Kronk and Loki were opposed to it. In the end, Spark submitted to their argument, begrudgingly, and threw the gauntlets in disgust at Loki and told him to keep them. The Larandian obliged.

The Heroes then travelled down a corridor where they fought with the orc captain, Kugnar, and his Wolf pet. Loki led the animal out into the hallway, where it was surrounded by the Heroes and they easily hacked it to bits. They then focused on Kugnar and slew him with ease. In the room, the Heroes found a letter addressed to Lord Manticore from Sarkus. The letter noted that Sarkus was working toward achieving his goal, and that he hated working with the orcs. He noted that he believed the Heroes were members of a cult to Orcus.

The Heroes then travelled to the mines where they encountered the tiefling, Sarkus, and his orcs companions. Sarkus told the Heroes that he had got what he came for, although the Heroes were never told what this item was or what is was for. Sarkus revealed that he indeed was a member of the organization called the Returners. The Returners are an organization that wishes to travel back to the Shadow to fight Orcus and slay him before he can return to the material plane. The Heroes tried to plead with the obviously insane Sarkus, however he would have no of it. After being attacked my Spark the tiefling retreated and escaped the mine.

The Heroes then returned to the Goblins lair. Spark threatened Gnasher to give him Longshanks’s brooch. The Goblins refused and a fight ensued. The heroes ended the adventure running from the Goblin lair.


I'm sorry, but we no longer support this web browser. Please upgrade your browser or install Chrome or Firefox to enjoy the full functionality of this site.